Re: URN Resolution Paths Considered Harmful

At 17.21 95-07-05, Larry Masinter wrote:
>Should someone be able to replicate a URN->URL service? I.e., is there
>a way to ask the URN->URL service: "What URNs do you resolve and what
>are their URLs?"
>
>Are there any privacy issues here?

Definitely, yes, there are privacy issues here.

A URN can for example identify a white-pages record, and in some
countries there is legal issues bound to what kind of fetches you
are able to do. In sweden you are not allowed, when having a
white-pages database, to have sameone able to "dump" the database.
You are only allowed searching, and you are forced to only allow
a certain number of "hits".

    Patrik