Re: About RawGit, and possible replacements

 Ralph Swick wrote:
    > ... instantly making many URIs cited in our archives (mail, github, &tc) un-Cool
   > Somewhere on our (ordered) requirements list must be how to assure that we
   > limit the risk of repeating this dis-service to those who refer to our records in the future.

Another requirement to include would be the ability to render a non-spec document from any branch.

For WCAG we have over 500 informative documents (techniques & understanding docs) which are updated on separate feature branches.

PR Preview doesn't work for this as they don't use ReSpec or Bikeshed.
Github Pages doesn't work as they are on feature branches.

Ideally the W3C would either host a git-proxy service [1], or mirror the github sources to somewhere that doesn't need proxying. I.e. it sends the correct mimetype headers.

If the W3C's version only proxied W3C repos, then it wouldn't have the issues rawgit had with people uploading malicious code for use elsewhere.

Another option would be to ask Microsoft nicely to adjust the mimetype headers on github, but I guess that could run into the same problems as rawgit?

Cheers,

-Alastair

1] Noting that rawgit was MIT licensed:
https://github.com/rgrove/rawgit/blob/master/LICENSE