Re: DIagrams and PlantUML

On Jan 27, 2016 10:53 PM, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On January 28, 2016 at 3:37:26 PM, Shane McCarron (shane@aptest.com)
> wrote:
> > So, here are the options as I see them:
> > 4. Tell people to generate static versions by hand and commit them into
> > the repo.
>
> This. Relying on a third party to do the conversion as a service from some
> proprietary format seems tremendously wasteful, insecure, etc. (all the
> things you mentioned).
>
> > What do others think? Is there a more sensible way to approach this
> > problem?
>
> It's extremely rare that once a diagram is done, it will be updated very
> often... maybe one updates a diagram 10-20 times max during the whole life
> of a standards project (~5 years). So I would personally throw this into
> the "would be nice... someday after we finish the actual spec" pile.

Yeah...  I am inclined to not put too much effort into automating it.  I do
have a node.js script that can generate an svg from source (via the proxy
service) that I suppose I could put in the repo so other editors can use it
or something.  Just as a tool to ease the generation of the "static"
diagrams.

Any other opinions out there?