WebIDL validity in continuous integration

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:45:59 +0100
To: spec-prod@w3.org
Cc: public-script-coord@w3.org
Hi,

As alluded to a week ago on spec-prod [1], I've been looking at setting up
one of my Working Groups with continuous integration tooling to ensure the
specs we develop (and the contributions that are made to it via pull
requests) match continuously a number of quality criteria.

In particular, I now have a Travis CI set up [2] that makes it easy to
check that any commits made to the ReSpec-based WebRTC spec, as well as
any pull requests brought to its repo, keep the WebIDL fragments in it
valid. I'll be expanding that set up to other Github repos of my groups in
the coming weeks.

WebIDL validation is done via the WebIDL checker, a tool that I maintain
separately [3].

Adapting it to non-ReSpec based specs should be fairly simple, and I'm
happy to assist any groups that would like to set this up for their github
repo.

Dom

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2014OctDec/0067.html
2. https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-pc/blob/master/.travis.yml