Re: Removing XHTML saving from ReSpec?

From: Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 08:44:11 -0600
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Cc: "spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
> On 25/02/2013 15:35 , Shane McCarron wrote:
>>
>> Currently there are only a few grammars that are permitted in a W3C
>> Recommendation.  NONE of the permitted grammars are HTML5.
>

> Actually that's not true. HTML5 is permitted and has been for a while.
> That's why ReSpec produces HTML5!

It is not permitted in Recommendations.  Just in earlier drafts.
Unless something changed and I missed it.  Only approved grammars that
are a Recommendation may be used in W3C Recommendations.

>> RDFa is critical for some of the things that the community is starting
>> to do with the specifications in the wild.  RDFa is ONLY currently
>> defined for XHTML.  There is a document in progress that defines it in
>> terms of HTML, but that will not be a Recommendation for some time.
>> Even when it is, it will not really have a definition in the context
>> of HTML4 (because we are not permitted to extend HTML4).  So until
>> HTML5 is a Recommendation, and until it is permitted for use in W3C
>> recommendations, we need to support XHTML+RDFa in order to use RDFa in
>> W3C Recommendations.
>

> We can use HTML5 and it's not a Rec. Is there any reason why we couldn't use
> HTML5 + RDFa too? Is it unstable? I thought we had something reliable at
> this stage. Are people really expected to deploy RDFa in XHTML? That doesn't
> seem viable (and surprises me a good deal!).

It is stable but it is not a Recommendation.  See above.  XHTML+RDFa
is perfectly stable and works well as a backward compatible
serialization.  I suspect that is what the W3C's goal is with
Recommendations.

--
Shane P. McCarron