Re: Removing XHTML saving from ReSpec?

On 25/02/2013 10:40, Robin Berjon wrote:

> For (1) there's Michael's objection that he likes to post-edit in an XML
> editor. I'd love to hear about what kind of post-editing we're talking
> about because the point is sort of that there shouldn't be any ;)

Lots of people post process documents (before or after publication) with
xml tools, whether it's a good idea or not leads to lots of discussion
around the polyglot spec, probably we shouldn't repeat it
for every possible mechanism for generating a document:-)

> For (2) this is the heart of the problem because if we want to stay
> valid with legacy XHTML we have to downgrade the HTML5 elements. One
> option could be to just use the HTML doctype (but since I don't really
> understand the use cases for supporting XHTML nowadays, it might be that
> this breaks something).

I think downgrading the element set used is just wrong, the choice of
vocabulary should be orthogonal to the choice of serialisation.
If the generated file never uses character entities just use
<!DOCTYPE html>
If it does use character entities I'd suggest following
http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/xhtml-pubid.html
but better/simpler would be not to do that and always use numeric
references or character data.

David