RE: [rfc-i] IETF RFC format <-> W3C pubrules

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 19:05:08 -0700
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
CC: "julian.reschke@gmx.de" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, rfc-interest <rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org>, "spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>

> Just following on this thread, here's a somewhat extreme strawman,
> which probably shows my W3C bias.

It should be a requirement that the authoring format => distribution format process *can* be accomplished offline.  I think this might be as simple as allowing citation expansions to be downloaded when online.

Also: citations should always be to dated links, and the process of updating a citation to the "latest" version based on URI to a location that is updated would encourage people to produce documents without actually reviewing the updates. While sometimes that's warranted (when the citer and cited are by the same author and are being prepared at the same time), but generally it isn't.

Both IETF and W3C struggle with updating citations, and I think the requirements are similar.

There is a "citation checker" tool for reviewing document citations, adding the ability to automatically check citations seems like a requirement that is currently met, and that any updates should preserve.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net