Re: Other designation than "Editor"?

On 21 Dec 2011, at 1:50 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This came up at TPAC, but I have not seen much follow-up. Not sure if this is the appropriate list either, but I thought I would try. There's a bunch of specifications where the person designated as "Editor" does a whole lot more than copy-and-pasting some WG agreed text. I.e. the research, writing all the text, and discussing the subject with everyone. More like an "Author" I guess. Does it make sense to distinguish the two?

I often see:

 * Editors (person who does a lot of work, including authoring and also caretaking of the document)
 * Authors (sources of content, often "the working group", sometimes listed up front, sometimes in the acks section)

Joseph Reagle established this policy for his groups to distinguish editors, authors, and contributors:
 http://www.w3.org/Signature/Contributor.html

Ian