Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

On Wednesday 14 December 2011 01:37:08 Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> Apart from that, I have to say I'm also not happy with that RDF, but
> my main reason is that the order of the authors gets garbled.

Yes, that bothered me enough that some time ago I stopped using the RDF
file[1] for the spec postprocessor[2] and instead get the data directly
from the source: the HTML files on /TR. The result is added, as before,
to a Refer database[3], which also contains other, non-W3C publications
that people have needed to cite. (But those other references are purely
maintained by hand. I haven't coupled it with the RFC database[4],
e.g.).

Note, however, that the Refer file is updated only semi-automatically:
Because of some differences among the technical reports, there are
always two or three things I need to fix by hand after the update
process finishes.(*) And that also means that the Refer file is updated
irregularly, about once every other month, or more often if somebody
pings me. And if one day the CSS WG no longer needs it, it may not be
maintained anymore.

But, while it's there, feel free to use it...

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf
[2] https://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/bin/postprocess
[3] https://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/biblio.ref
[4] http://www.ietf.org/download/rfc-index.txt

*) For the curious, the problems are:
  - When are parentheses part of the name? "Shudi (Sandy) Gao" vs "Jeff
    Heflin (Lehigh University)." There are some specs that use hcard,
    but too few to make it worthwhile to add code for that.
  - Occasionally, editors invent terms that look like existing
    ones but may or may not mean the same thing: "latest published
    version" == "latest version != "latest editor's version"
  - Multiple editors in one DD, instead of one name per DD. (I think
    only SMIL2 does that.)

Bert