Re: W3C Publications Ecosystem Breakout Summary

From: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:10:09 -0800
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: "spec-prod@w3.org Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org>, "fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Hi Marcos,

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com<mailto:w3c@marcosc.com>>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:58:53 -0800
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com<mailto:robin@berjon.com>>
Cc: "spec-prod@w3.org<mailto:spec-prod@w3.org> Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org<mailto:spec-prod@w3.org>>, "fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net<mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net<mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>>, Adobe Systems <vhardy@adobe.com<mailto:vhardy@adobe.com>>
Subject: Re: W3C Publications Ecosystem Breakout Summary

On Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

 fantasai and vhardy: create concrete proposal for a new and better spec template for W3C
 fantasai to start best practices doc for editing specs

I would strongly encourage looking at the WHATWG document:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/

Before any "concrete proposal" is made, I would like to make sure all the requirements are captured:

e.g., needs to link to test suite, drops snapshots/dates, clearly shows status (overall, section) based on implementations(!) not on "um, we think its done but have no data to back that", etc. etc.

Do we have a list or requirements? Where can we capture them?

I think the 'concrete proposal' is more limited in scope than what the summary may imply. We are going to look at two things:

a. improving the styling of the specifications for improved legibility. We are working with two designers, one of them is Ben Schwartz who has worked on the following already (http://developers.whatwg.org/)
b. improving the boiler plate section of the spec.

I think you are thinking of ways to provide in-place feedback on the spec. Is that right? I agree this is also important, but this is not a piece I have signed up for just yet :-)

Vincent