Re: Minutes from 27 February 2001 BOF

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:23:03 -0500
To: spec-prod@w3.org
Hi Eve.

* Eve L. Maler <eve.maler@east.sun.com> [2001-03-13 17:30-0500]
> I will fix this and get everything into CVS.  Timeframe: probably 2-3
> weeks.  Thanks for your patience!

Since you are talking about fixing stuff:

* Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org> [2001-03-07 09:54-0500]
> Hugo Haas (W3C): [..] Thought xmlspec prod was cool. Noticed that
> ALT generated on tables.

My comment what about the alt attribute of the graphic element (not

  <!ATTLIST graphic
	  source                  CDATA           #REQUIRED
	  alt                     CDATA           #IMPLIED

I was advocating that for accessibility purposes, it should be
mandatory, considering its definition (extracted from [1]):

          An optional alternate string to display if the graphic data
          cannot be displayed or viewed.

Hmmm... I see it listed in the issues section[2] though... well, just
a reminder then. :-)

> Philippe: also summary on tables.

Philippe was saying that summary, for table should be required:

  <!ATTLIST table
	  summary         CDATA           #IMPLIED
	  border          CDATA           #IMPLIED
	  frame           (void|above
			  |border)        #IMPLIED
	  rules           (none|groups
			  |all)           #IMPLIED
	  cellspacing     CDATA           #IMPLIED
	  cellpadding     CDATA           #IMPLIED>

The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0[3] list this
checkpoint[4] as a priority 3 ("A Web content developer may address
this checkpoint."), but documents are never "too accessible", so I
guess that this change would not hurt.

  1. http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report#AEN1655
  2. http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report#issues
  3. http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505/