Re: How to mark up examples in W3C technical reports

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:41:15 -0800
To: Norman.Walsh@east.sun.com, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, spec-prod@w3.org
Norman Walsh wrote:

>  / Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org> was heard to say:
>  | This week we got unlabeled pre working pretty well in Netscape 4,6 and
>  | Mac IE 3,4,5 in the CSS3 Selectors WD [1]:
>  | pre {
>  | 	background-color: #d5d5d5;
>  | 	margin: 1em 1cm;
>  | 	padding: 0 0.3cm;
>  | 	white-space: pre;  /* for NS4 */
>  | 	border: none;      /* for NS4 */
>  | 	font-size: 92%;
>  | }
>
>  I tried this in Netscape 4.x on Linux and it didn't seem to work very
>  well. Has anyone else tried that?

Would you describe the problem, or give a URI or screen shot?

Netscape 4.75 and 6.01 Linux look fine in Virtual PC emulation on my Mac.
At large font sizes, the pre text isn't constrained inside the color div,
but that's true for any browser, not only Navigator.

http://www.w3.org/2001/01/screenshots/example-NS475.png
http://www.w3.org/2001/01/screenshots/example-NS601.png

David Carlisle wrote:

>  while working on the mathml spec we found that setting background colour
>  without a border never really produced something acceptable in NS4.
>  but that it worked OK if you provided a border as well.

I believe border:none also does that trick.

--
Susan Lesch - mailto:lesch@w3.org  tel:+1.858.483.4819
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) - http://www.w3.org/