Re: Publishing tool ideas for W3C editors

I didn't say it was widely supported - I don't know of any full
implementation (except of framesets...). I said it was widely renderable,
which is different, but helpful if we want people to actually read our specs.

I agree with you about extensibility. (A digression - it would be nice if
class values could be URIs and we could use RDF to describe them and have
some hope of extneding in a way that we could keep track of, but that breaks
CSS in many cases, unless we want to fill things with escaped character, and
I don't.)

I don't understand your last comment - if XHTML is the common XML format,
then we can validate it. Or ami I missing something else?

cheers

Chaals

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

  Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > Well, XHTML would make a good common format I think. It is XML, and is
  > therefore extensible through the use of namespaces (in spec if not in
  > browsers...) and is renderable relatively widely.

  The XHTML is not widely supported by the user agents for the moment. I
  will disagree about making this format, the "offical format for
  published W3C specifications".
  XHTML is also too much extensible and will be used to express what
  a common XML format can do better, without using tricks like class
  attributes or anything.
  On the other hand, we don't want to require the use of XML in order
  to use the transformation tools, that's why we need to provide
  an XSLT sheet to transform the document.

  > And there are editing tools that are relatively easy to use, and transforming
  > some kind of xml -> XHTML is not new for people who are currently
  > transforming to HTML.

  XHTML doesn't fulfil one of the requirements: being able to validate
  the input format. For that, we will need to develop a special tool
  when DTDs (and schemas) are designed for that.

  Philippe