Re: Ideas for generic document processing tools

From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:07:43 -0800
To: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@east.sun.com>, spec-prod@w3.org
CC: bent@exemplary.net

> Some of the things you're describing sound like they can already be done
> (after a fashion) with the XMLspec DTD and the appropriate XSL stylesheet,
> so you may want to consider authoring your specs in XML and then
> transforming to HTML.
>
> For example, XMLspec has a bibref element you can use inline, which links
> (by means of an IDREF) to a bibliography entry in the back.  Using one of
> the several XSL stylesheets people have written, this turns into an HTML A;
> plus, you get the validation that your bibliography reference points to
> something real.  Another handy thing is the issue element, which assigns a
> label to all issues and then collects references to the issues at the end
> of the document.

And, of course, the DOM specs are also authored in XML and
converted via a set of Tcl scripts to HTML, Java, etc. Complete with
the inline bibliography references, and a few other tricks that are
really only applicable to APIs. Not that I'd say to use the Tcl
scripts unless you need the same output as the DOM specs have;
just that it's possible.

Lauren