Re: Writing I-Ds and RFCs using XML

From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:59:40 -0700
To: spec-prod@w3.org
On 13 Jun 2000, at 15:31, Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:

> At 03:24 PM 6/13/00 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:
>  >So you'd union them?  There may be other spec formats we might want to
>  >throw into the mix too, then.  E.g., OASIS may have a standard set of
>  >header info for specs submitted to them.  Of course, a stylesheet can
>  >extract the relevant fields when it's time to publish.
>
> Yes. And if the various constituencies are interested and as this is the
> only public forum I'm aware of for this, I'd recommend it happen here. The
> question is can we attract attention from the IETF (Marshall?) and Oasis so
> we can work together?

I'm against creating large DTDs and would much prefer that we
have smaller DTDs with more rigorous structure. Creating the "one-
size-fits-all" DTD often ends up with a DTD that doesn't really fit
anything, and people end up making subsets again.

If we really can't transform from the current style of spec DTD to
the IETF style of documents, then that says to me that they're so
different that they should use different DTDs, i.e. they really are
different classes of documents.

Lauren