Re: Writing I-Ds and RFCs using XML

At 10:59 AM 6/26/00 -0700, Lauren Wood wrote:
>I'm against creating large DTDs and would much prefer that we
>have smaller DTDs with more rigorous structure. Creating the "one-
>size-fits-all" DTD often ends up with a DTD that doesn't really fit
>anything, and people end up making subsets again.
>
>If we really can't transform from the current style of spec DTD to
>the IETF style of documents, then that says to me that they're so
>different that they should use different DTDs, i.e. they really are
>different classes of documents.

In general, I agree; each DTD should stick to one "logical document
type."  But these are pretty close.

We'll have to see how much the headers really differ, and if there's little
overlap they may want to be developed separately.  It would be nice to be
able to hook them up to a common core, at least.

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com