Re: Replacing Event keyCode

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:08:10 +0900
To: "Smith,Roger" <rsmith@andersonequip.com>
Cc: site-comments@w3.org
"Smith,Roger" <rsmith@andersonequip.com>, 2011-11-21 07:49 +0000:

> Apparently the W3C spec forbids replacing the keyCode in an event.
> [...]
> I respectfully request that this decision be reconsidered for future
> versions of the spec.

where the specs that relate to core DOM features are discussed -

> Also, IE has supported “-1” for the tabindex to prevent items such as
> optional buttons from being included in the tab sequence.
> [...]
> I would like to suggest that this be added to future specs.

The HTML5 spec already says it's valid:

  The tabindex attribute, if specified, must have a value that is a valid

> It is the only one which repeatedly shows up as an error when I validate
> my html using the W3C validator.

You might want to consider using this validator instead:

It's up to date with the current HTML spec (HTML5) and does much better
reporting of things that are actually potential problems, and far less
(mis)reporting about things that aren't.

Michael[tm] Smith