Strange problem with Validator

From: Kelly <kelly.newell@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:13:58 +0000
To: <site-comments@w3.org>
Hi there,

I have always used your validator to make sure that all the pages for
websites that I design are validated. I'm pretty familiar with it and
have never had any problems until now. The documents I have been
checking are not live websites but .html files that are on my PC that
will go live when they are finished.

Last night I had a document that came up with a warning and 3 errors -
about character encoding. This didn't make any sense to me as this is
something I do first with my documents along with declaring the doctype:

<head>

<title>My webpage</title>

iso-8859-1" />

<link href="w_style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>

I thought maybe there was a typo - so I went to check one of my
previous websites (that I know validated correctly in the past) but it
came up with the same error. After about an hour of trying to find out
how to fix it - suddenly all my documents validated again - with no
obvious change to the code.

This morning I validated again and I got the green light and all was
fine so I carried on with the rest of my code. I went to check the new
code that I had written and then again the same Character encoding
error, even though I had not changed any of the doctype/character
encoding code pasted above.

It is a very confusing and annoying situation, is there anyone that
can tell me why this is happening?

Regards,
Kelly Newell