Questions about WCAG 2.0

From: Damon Bullis <Damon.Bullis@utsa.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:44:42 +0000
To: <site-comments@w3.org>
Hello,

I had one question about WCAG 2.0 and a suggestion for modifying/
changing it.

My question is to clarify the part about opening up new windows when a
user clicks on a link/ image.  What is the proper way of notifying the
user that a new window will open up?  Is it limited to just the text
after the link?  Or can you use the alt or title attribute of the link
to convey that information to the user?  What is acceptable for A or
AA or AAA?

Iím of the mindset that the user should have some control over
whatever the web developer created. Which leads me to my suggestion/
modification , which I realize you do not have any direct control over
but W3 could be the organization that to talk to those involved with
the process.  Why not have (force) all browsers have the ability to
open the link in the same window just like the users have the option
of opening the link in a new window or tab?  That way any device can
set its default settings to not allow a new window/tab from opening?
This could allow for greater accessibility for all.

Thanks for listening to my question and suggestion.

Damon