Re: Questions about WCAG 2.0

Hello Damon,

Guidance on opening new windows is provided under the following WCAG Guidelines:
* 3.2.1 On Focus: When any component receives focus, it does not initiate a change of context. (Level A)
* 3.2.2 On Input: Changing the setting of any user interface component does not automatically cause a change of context unless the user has been advised of the behavior before using the component. (Level A)
* 3.2.5 Change on Request: Changes of context are initiated only by user request or a mechanism is available to turn off such changes. (Level AAA)

A good place to look these up is http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/

Some specific techniques are listed under Situation C: If the Web page uses pop-up windows at http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html#consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context-techniques-head

You could also search for "new window" in http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/complete.html

If you want more feedback on options, feel free to send your question to the WAI Interest Group (IG) mailing list. You can join the WAI IG mailing list and post questions by following the instructions under:

Re: "Why not have (force) all browsers have the ability to open the link in the same window just like the users have the option of opening the link in a new window or tab?"

You are welcome to submit this as a suggestion for W3C WAI's User Agent Accessibility Guidelines (UAAG), which cover browsers. See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2010AprJun/0066.html for links to the UAAG 2.0 drafts and the e-mail address to send comments. (Although the deadline is passed in that notice, we still welcome comments.)

Regards,
~Shawn

-----
Shawn Lawton Henry