Re: apparent unicode error

On 13 Oct 2009, at 10:46 PM, Drew Perttula wrote:

> Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> On 13 Oct 2009, at 9:55 PM, Drew Perttula wrote:
>>> http://bigasterisk.com/post/w3page.png is what http://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/
>>>  looks like on Chromium on linux. Firefox seems the same. The
>>> context suggests there should be a -- dash, but instead I see a
>>> funny 'x' of dots.
>> Hi Drew,
>> I believe that is a Unicode mdash character (in utf-8 encoding). It
>> looks ok on my firefox and safari. What font are you using to
>> display?
>
> In chromium I don't know- it's the default linux one, whatever that
> is.
>
> In firefox, the fonts menu says that my sans-serif font is the one
> called 'sans-serif' :) I'm not sure how to resolve that name any
> more, but I didn't change it from the firefox default.
>
> I picked up the character on my clipboard and searched for it in the
> charmap program. The only hit is U+2059 FIVE DOT PUNCTUATION. Using
> curl in my rxvt also displays the char in the html source as a five-
> dot splat thing.
>
> I also just noticed that there are some successful dashes on the
> page, even in my screenshot. Was the char after 'inference' supposed
> to be the same as the one after 'industries'?
>
> firefox 3.5.5pre
> chromium 4.0.222.4 (Ubuntu build 28689)
> X.Org X Server 1.6.0
> Ubuntu 9.04
> fvwm 2.5.26

Hi Drew,

I checked the file source and I'm using —  which is Unicode mdash:
  http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2014/index.htm

I checked the generated output using this checker:
  http://rishida.net/tools/conversion/

And when I paste in the character, it tells me it's mdash (— in
hex).

Not sure what to do at this point...