Re: apparent unicode error

Ian Jacobs wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2009, at 9:55 PM, Drew Perttula wrote:
>
>> http://bigasterisk.com/post/w3page.png is what
>> http://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/ looks like on Chromium on
>> linux. Firefox seems the same. The context suggests there should be a
>> -- dash, but instead I see a funny 'x' of dots.
>
> Hi Drew,
>
> I believe that is a Unicode mdash character (in utf-8 encoding). It
> looks ok on my firefox and safari. What font are you using to display?

In chromium I don't know- it's the default linux one, whatever that is.

In firefox, the fonts menu says that my sans-serif font is the one
called 'sans-serif' :) I'm not sure how to resolve that name any more,
but I didn't change it from the firefox default.

I picked up the character on my clipboard and searched for it in the
charmap program. The only hit is U+2059 FIVE DOT PUNCTUATION. Using curl
in my rxvt also displays the char in the html source as a five-dot splat
thing.

I also just noticed that there are some successful dashes on the page,
even in my screenshot. Was the char after 'inference' supposed to be the
same as the one after 'industries'?

firefox 3.5.5pre
chromium 4.0.222.4 (Ubuntu build 28689)
X.Org X Server 1.6.0