Re: Towards a consistent naming of W3C subdirectories

On 1 Jul 2009, at 2:56 PM, Giovanni Campagna wrote:

> 2009/7/1 Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>:
>>
>> On 1 Jul 2009, at 12:53 PM, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>>
>>> I've been following the work on the new version of the W3C site
>>> for a
>>> while, and I noticed that almost all the WG home pages, as well as
>>> other pages with dated URIs or other weirdness are not currently
>>> working.
>>> I expected that being caused by the refactoring and resulting into
>>> new
>>> sensible path component. I sent this email to make sure this
>>> happens.
>>>
>>> As an example, now we have /Style/CSS for CSS WG, but /html/wg for
>>> HTML WG and /2001/tag for the TAG or /2001/sw for the Semantic Web
>>> Activity.
>>>
>>> I think there are three models to solve this:
>>> 1- /WG/CSS, /TAG, /activities/SemanticWeb, /IG/Math, /XG/
>>> ModelBasedUI
>>> I.e., one (virtual) directory for kind of group, followed by the
>>> group
>>> name
>>>
>>> 2- /Style/CSS, /TAG, /SemanticWeb/SWDeployment, /Markup/HTML,
>>> /RWC/WebApps, /Incubator/ModelBasedUI
>>> I.e. one (virtual) directory for Activity, followed by the group
>>> name
>>>
>>> 3- /1996/CSS, /2001/TAG, /2001/SemanticWeb, /2007/HTML, /2008/
>>> WebApps,
>>> /2008/ModelBasedUI, /2007/XHTML2
>>> I.e. the group name, associated with the year of start
>>>
>>> All group names should be consistenly CamelCased if possible (but I
>>> know that W3C servers are case-instensitive)
>>>
>>> Of the three possibility, I personally favor number one, because
>>> dropping the short name could bring to the list of currently active
>>> working groups (one of the most difficult pages to reach, probably,
>>> together with the list of TR ordered by working group).
>>> Dropping the short name from 2 could give directly the activity
>>> page,
>>> but I suppose that every WG will keep a link to its Activity (and
>>> every Activity to its Domain), and people often want to group by
>>> technology, rather than by activity.
>>> Option n°3 is the one I dislike most, because currently
>>> http://www.w3.org/XXXX is member / team only and thus completely
>>> useless.
>>>
>>> I know that the W3C has URI persistence policies, but you can still
>>> keep the old link and set a 301 Moved Permantly redirect to the new
>>> location. Also, most URIs are not covered by those policies.
>>

>> Hi Giovanni,
>>
>> While consistent URIs are nice, they should not be required. People
>> should reach pages through search engines or by following links, not
>> by having remember URIs.
>>
>> I hope that the new site makes it easier to find information, without
>> needing
>> to worry about URIs.
>>
>>  _ Ian
>
> Most of time you need the same pages time over time, for example you
> just need to check some WG's tracker or someother WG's blog.
> In that case, you either use bookmarks, which may become too crowded
> if you have to mantain a lot of addresses, or you manually type the
> address.

You shouldn't have to type addresses.

> Normally, you just type few characters and the browser
> automatically finds the complete URI from the history.
> I personally type addresses everytime I need something at the www.w3.org
> .

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the new site makes it possible for you
to avoid
typing URIs.

> In addition, you need to type URIs if you write them on emails,
> twitters, et similia. It is easier to remember
> <http://www.w3.org/Join/AsInvitedExpert> than
> <http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/ieapp/>, and sure you don't want to
> say to your colleague "goto to w3c home page, type 'invited expert
> application' in the search field and hope for the better"
>
> That was from an usability point of view. The other point is that it
> looks better.

Agreed that shorter is better. :)

   Ian