Re: Towards a consistent naming of W3C subdirectories

2009/7/1 Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>:

> On 1 Jul 2009, at 12:53 PM, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>
>> I've been following the work on the new version of the W3C site for a
>> while, and I noticed that almost all the WG home pages, as well as
>> other pages with dated URIs or other weirdness are not currently
>> working.
>> I expected that being caused by the refactoring and resulting into new
>> sensible path component. I sent this email to make sure this happens.
>>
>> As an example, now we have /Style/CSS for CSS WG, but /html/wg for
>> HTML WG and /2001/tag for the TAG or /2001/sw for the Semantic Web
>> Activity.
>>
>> I think there are three models to solve this:
>> 1- /WG/CSS, /TAG, /activities/SemanticWeb, /IG/Math, /XG/ModelBasedUI
>> I.e., one (virtual) directory for kind of group, followed by the group
>> name
>>
>> 2- /Style/CSS, /TAG, /SemanticWeb/SWDeployment, /Markup/HTML,
>> /RWC/WebApps, /Incubator/ModelBasedUI
>> I.e. one (virtual) directory for Activity, followed by the group name
>>
>> 3- /1996/CSS, /2001/TAG, /2001/SemanticWeb, /2007/HTML, /2008/WebApps,
>> /2008/ModelBasedUI, /2007/XHTML2
>> I.e. the group name, associated with the year of start
>>
>> All group names should be consistenly CamelCased if possible (but I
>> know that W3C servers are case-instensitive)
>>
>> Of the three possibility, I personally favor number one, because
>> dropping the short name could bring to the list of currently active
>> working groups (one of the most difficult pages to reach, probably,
>> together with the list of TR ordered by working group).
>> Dropping the short name from 2 could give directly the activity page,
>> but I suppose that every WG will keep a link to its Activity (and
>> every Activity to its Domain), and people often want to group by
>> technology, rather than by activity.
>> Option n°3 is the one I dislike most, because currently
>> http://www.w3.org/XXXX is member / team only and thus completely
>> useless.
>>
>> I know that the W3C has URI persistence policies, but you can still
>> keep the old link and set a 301 Moved Permantly redirect to the new
>> location. Also, most URIs are not covered by those policies.
>

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> While consistent URIs are nice, they should not be required. People
> should reach pages through search engines or by following links, not
> by having remember URIs.
>
> I hope that the new site makes it easier to find information, without
> needing
> to worry about URIs.
>
>  _ Ian

Most of time you need the same pages time over time, for example you
just need to check some WG's tracker or someother WG's blog.
In that case, you either use bookmarks, which may become too crowded
if you have to mantain a lot of addresses, or you manually type the
address. Normally, you just type few characters and the browser
automatically finds the complete URI from the history.
I personally type addresses everytime I need something at the www.w3.org.

In addition, you need to type URIs if you write them on emails,
twitters, et similia. It is easier to remember
<http://www.w3.org/Join/AsInvitedExpert> than
<http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/ieapp/>, and sure you don't want to
say to your colleague "goto to w3c home page, type 'invited expert
application' in the search field and hope for the better"

That was from an usability point of view. The other point is that it
looks better.

>> Hope that this proposal will be accepted,
>>
>> Giovanni Campagna
>>
>> PS: sending this because I saw
>> <http://beta.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.html> which should be
>> <http://beta.w3.org/Consortium/invexp> or
>> <http://beta.w3.org/Partecipation/invexp> (without the html suffix)
>>

> --
> Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)    http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
> Tel:                                      +1 718 260 9447

Giovanni