Re: [Moderator Action] About the dollar signs next to Date and Author information

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 12:10 +0000, Olga R. Muņoz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed you use dollar signs in the W3C site  to remark a date
> or the author, for example:
>
>     Last Modified: $Date: 2007/02/13 20:18:04 $ by $Author: ijacobs $
>
> At first I thought it was a mistake, but I have been regarding it in
> so many pages, that I now believe it is not an error. I have tried to
> google for an answer about what they are and how they can be used, but
> I cannot find one.
>
> My question is just that: what does the dollar sign mean and if it is
> a convention or recommendation of the W3C.

Hello Olga,

W3C uses the tool Concurrent Versions System (CVS) to help manage
the W3C Web site. CVS includes "keyword substitution" features to help
automatically display version, author, date, and other information about
documents. See:
 http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.22/cvs_12.html#SEC97

The string "$Date$" is expanded to the date/time the file was checked
into the CVS system.

I hope that helps,

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447