About the dollar signs next to Date and Author information

From: Olga R. Muņoz <olgarev@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:23:17 -0500
To: site-comments@w3.org, dom@w3.org

Hi,

I have noticed you use dollar signs in the W3C site  to remark a date
or the author, for example:

    Last Modified: $Date: 2007/02/13 20:18:04 $ by $Author: ijacobs $

At first I thought it was a mistake, but I have been regarding it in
so many pages, that I now believe it is not an error. I have tried to
google for an answer about what they are and how they can be used, but
I cannot find one.

My question is just that: what does the dollar sign mean and if it is
a convention or recommendation of the W3C.

Best regards,
Olga Revilla

--
Olga Revilla