Re: About the side navigation menu structure

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 16:36 +0930, Terry Dean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/new-to-w3c.html
>
> I am very interested in finding out how the navigation menu on the
> right hand side of your site was created using XSL. I would appreciate
> if you could direct me to a site or pages where I could learn more
> about how to achieve this.

Hi Terry,

The menu structure is defined in one place:
  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/addnav.xsl

Every night, we have a cron job that calls "make";
see the Makefile:
  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Makefile

The general idea is that we regenerate the set of pages that
make up the "About W3C" set and share a common navigation
menu, but only when the navigation menu changes.

We preferred this approach (static HTML) to dynamic inclusion
of the menu for performance reasons, although I confess we didn't
actually do any testing on, say, a PHP version that includes
the menu dynamically.

I hope this helps as a starting point,

 - Ian

> kind regards,
>

> Terry Dean
> Terry.Dean@chariot.net.au
> Tel: (08) 8344 5547

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447