Re: your site

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:49:31 -0800
To: Fox <fox@fxmahoney.com>, site-comments@w3.org

Fox <fox@fxmahoney.com> writes:

>  w3.org is killing my machine -- I cannot visit w3.org with IE5 on a
>  Macintosh without having the
>  site freeze up my machine entirely (OS9.2.2 Titanium powerbook). I tried
>  twice...same results.

Sorry you had problems. First thing to try: sometimes only a restart
will cure memory leaks. Microsoft recommends 8196k and I think they can
happen no matter how much memory you give IE.

Next try emptying the cache (Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Cache >
"Empty Now").

As a last resort if IE freezes elsewhere, follow the instructions in
section 3.12 of the Mac IE 5 Read Me. At the moment, a copy of the Read
Me is in the Microsoft Knowledge Base [1] as article number 258540.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258540

>  Luckily, I still use NN4, so I can navigate your depricated pages without
>  having to deal with
>  you attempting to show off what you apparently cannot do... manage
>  cross-browser/cross-platform situations.

That is fortunate. Pardon if I say that demonstrates cross-browser
success.

--
Susan Lesch           http://www.w3.org/People/Lesch/
mailto:lesch@w3.org               tel:+1.858.483.4819