Re: What is THE standard?

Hello, Steve,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I will forward your question to someone in
the HTML Working Group who I hope can help you out. Also you can reach
the group from the HTML home page:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

At 17:51 +0000 11/18/03, Steve Smith wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Not sure if I've missed the point of W3C but I asked this of the Hampshire
>Linux User Group and they encouraged me to ask you.
>
>The question I posed them, was what is "THE" standard we should using to
>develop web pages in. I've read the road map and that recommends HTML4.01
>and XHTML1.0 and 1.1 so how can there be three right answers?
>
>I can see there are add-ons for mobile devices etc that might determine the
>answer for any one situation but my question relates to the general WWW
>community.
>
>For what it is worth the answer for compatibility across all browsers was
>HTML3.2, but that XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2.0 are a reasonable choice as long as
>you are careful not to do anything IE6 doesn't support.

Best wishes,
--
Susan Lesch           http://www.w3.org/People/Lesch/
mailto:lesch@w3.org               tel:+1.858.483.4819