Re: [Moderator Action] XHTML Strict 1.0 Question

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:59:21 -0400
To: salman.rizvi@hrdc-drhc.gc.ca
CC: site-comments@w3.org

salman.rizvi@hrdc-drhc.gc.ca wrote:

> Hi there,
> This is the only email I could find relating to w3c, if this does not apply
> here, could u please forward this msg to the right individual.
> I was wondering if there are any tools out there, that clean up code to XHTML
> Strict 1.0. I know HTML Tidy does XHTML cleaning, but only to Translational.
> If you do know where I could find about such a tool I would greatly
> appreciate it. Thanks.

Hello,

The tidy documentation [1] indicates how to generate strict
XHTML 1.0. Use the "doctype" option:

doctype: omit, auto, strict, loose or <fpi>

   This property controls the doctype declaration generated by Tidy.
If set to omit the output file won't contain a doctype declaration.
If set to auto (the default) Tidy will use an educated guess based
upon the contents of the document. If set to strict, Tidy will set
the doctype to the strict DTD.

So, try:

  tidy --output-xhtml true --doctype strict file.html

  _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447