Location of the DTD

From: Claude Petitpierre <claude.petitpierre@epfl.ch>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:34:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: site-comments@w3.org

Dear Sir,

I have had much trouble finding the syntax of the DTDs. The book I had
was
far from complete and what I have found through the Web for quite a
while
were mails of persons who were complaining for not finding the DTD.
I think that the following explanations would be very helpful for all
those
who just want to write a DTD. A remark noticing the following idea
should
be reachable from the index or the search function.

The fact that the DTDs describe XML, that they are usually put in a
separate file
and that there are XML-Schema tables written in plain XML is misleading.

What I did not realize is that the DTD is part of XML and is located
within the
XML definition.

When I had understood that, everything was clear and I enjoyed the XML
recommendation,
which is very well written.

Best Regards,

C. Petitpierre