XHTML and W3C Homepage

From: Aaron W. Silver <awsilver@renderology.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:32:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: <site-comments@w3.org>
Out of curiosity, how exactly is the XHTML validator getting past the
homepage for W3C? The basic spec for XHTML should not allow it to
validate the page for a number of reasons:

Markup tags are in upper and lower case (consistancy).
Attributes are not quoted (lots of them).
Terminated elements are not adheared to (li tags).
Non-Terminated empty tags are present (img, br and hr).

Since I'm currently working on a lot of XML/XHTML and trying to get it
all nailed down, I just thought it curious that the W3C's page doesn't
conform and displays the "validated" tag at the bottom of the page. Am I
missing something?

Just think'n it's a little odd,
Aaron W. Silver
awsilver@renderology.com