Use of Google Logo with Search box

Hello, Paul.

Your message to site-comments received a quick response from Ian
Jacobs, but there is more information that may be useful.

The W3C Team has been in the process of evaluating the Google
search service, and considering terms for use of their
search technology for both the W3C Public and Member site.
Google is the provider of the service, and carries terms and
conditions for its use. In this case, W3C is using the Google
product.

There is nothing inconsistent or new with the use of
the logo for a product we use. You should be aware that when
we used Altavista as our search engine, we also were obliged
to carry the logo for both Altavista and Compaq (who donated the
server) on the search pages and the results. Altavista, the
spinoff company, was not a Member either.

As Head of Communications for W3C, I had already spoken with our
director about the use of the Google Logo on our site. Given the
Google current T&Cs, and that Google gives us an effective, operable
search facility, he approved the use.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to write to me
directly.

Best regards,

Janet

Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

> Paul Pedersen wrote:
>
>>..>WHAT< is this Google promotion doing
>>on the W3C front page?  Google is a private,
>>for-profit organization.  I certainly would not
>>expect to see the W3C providing promotions
>>for private companies.  My company has paid
>>$5,000 for membership in the W3C.  Can we
>>have a promotion on your front page?
>>Be assured that I will raise this issue as rapidly
>>as possible to the highest possible level in the
>>organization.
>>

> Paul,
>
> Our search engine has been down for some time,
> and we have received a number of complaints that
> finding information on the public Web site and mailing
> lists is difficult as a result. We are currently
> investigating a solution that is more effective
> than our previous search facility.
>
> The Team decided that, until we have a long-term
> solution in place, it is so important that people
> be able to search the public Web site and mailing
> list archives, that we are willing to live for
> a short time with the Google logo on the home page
> (see part 3.3 of their terms and conditions [1]).
>
> This situation is temporary.
>
> Thank you,
>
>  - Ian
>
> [1] http://www.google.com/services/terms_free.html