Re: Blank nodes as predicates Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

In my 2nd year report PhD report I have a longer chapter on how RDF works with Institution
Theory (IT) [1].  In IT, which was developed by the late Goguen in order to reveal the
structure common to all logics - and so in particular of RDF.  The interesting thing is
that if one defines RDF in IT , it is easier to start with Signatures that contain only
IRIs - call that Signature S.  It turns out then to be extremely easy to add blank nodes by
a simple morphism from S to a signature S+X that is S with variables. This can be done
with all logics, and it seems is the way IT brings together existential and universal
quantification in one simple definition.

The interesting thing seems to be that when one does that, if one takes blank nodes to be
existential quantifiers, as I think we all do, then blank nodes fall out automatically in
predicate position too.

So this indicates two things:
    - if you ever develop a language without existential quantifiers you automatically
    have another language with existential quantifiers that falls out automatically
   - that language has them in predicate position - though there is a note in the IT books
   about some consequences of that which I need to look into.

I can post that chapter here where I go into detail if people are interested. My aim was to
write it so that it is easy enough to read by people with no background in IT or CT.  I would
need to fix up a number of typos that have been pointed out to me in the meantime, and see
if I can understand the asterisk pointed out about quantification over predicates that I saw
and see how that would apply to RDF.

Since we are thinking of changing RDF we are inevitably in IT land, as we are looking at
changes to the language, and so morphisms between languages.

Henry

[1] https://www.iep.utm.edu/insti-th/