Re: rdfs:subClassOf and XSD derivation by restriction

On 3/6/18 12:40 PM, Richard Smith wrote:

[...]
> I'm struggling to work out whether OWL2 allows this to be expressed.
> It almost seems that
>
>   ex:a ex:p "sss"^^ex:sub .
>   ex:sub owl:equivalentClass [
>     owl:onDatatype ex:super ;
>     owl:withRestrictions [] ] .
>   ex:super a rdfs:Datatype .
>
> might OWL entail (for an appropriate type of OWL entailment):
>
>   ex:a ex:p "sss"^^ex:super .
>
> But I'm not sure as I've never properly got to grips with OWL datatypes.
>
> Richard

In OWL one might say

Declaration ( Datatype ( x:SSN ) )
DatatypeDefinition ( x:SSN
   DatatypeRestriction(  xsd:nonNegativeInteger maxInclusive 999999999 ) )

This defines x:SSN as a new datatype.   However, from 9.4 of the OWL2
Web Ontology Language Structural Specification and Functional-Style
Syntax (Second Edition) "[defined] datatypes have empty lexical spaces
and therefore they /MUST NOT/ occur in literals".

I don't even know if your triples above are even OWL 2, but if they are,
then they don't give a nice meaning to "sss"^^ex:sub.

peter