SKOS modeling

From: Alessandro Seganti <a.seganti@cognitum.eu>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 15:36:17 +0100
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Hi everyone,
after some years working with semantic technologies, I am still not 100%
sure I understand what SKOS is used for.

To my understanding, SKOS should be used to model relations between
entities that are not certain so instead of modeling it as "is a" we say
that it is "broader than" or things like this.

If this is true, then I don't understand why I see many people building
taxonomy trees using SKOS relations. Is there some confusion around or
maybe I am missing something?

Also could you give me an example where it is better to use SKOS than to
use "is a" relationships?

Thank you very much for your help.

*Alessandro Seganti Ph.D.*

Cognitum Sp. z o.o., *Data Engineer*