Re: Survey: Use of this list for Calls for Papers

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:18:42 +0200
Cc: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, Semantic Web IG <semantic-web@w3.org>, LOD List <public-lod@w3.org>
To: Axel Polleres <droxel@gmail.com>
Dear all,

Thanks Phil for bringing up this debate.
I agree with Axel about the list being a natural place.

However, I think we need something else:
a clear guideline for efficient CfPs.
Too often, CfPs look like the braindump
of 10 different people all mixed together.
The more information it contains,
the better the sender seems to think it is.
Except that it's not.
(Not to mention the obligatory apologies
 on top, which only annoy people more.)

If we mail around CfPs, they should be efficient;
having a suggested template would really help.
As far as I'm concerned, a CfP only contains:
– who should submit and why
– the title and place
– dates (deadline / event)
– URL for all info
All other details are irrelevant at first.
Just 1 screen—no scrolling—instead of 10.

By making CfPs more efficient,
they also become more useful for readers,
and hence much more of an added value
to subscribers than they are now.

Best,

Ruben