Re: What should we call RDF's ability to allow multiple models to peacefully coexist, interconnected?

Hi Mike,
I'm hardly a Polly Anna nor am I an academic.  Most who know me would describe me as rather pragmatic.  FWIW, I've run several successful startups that use/used linked data for pressing concerns including sophisticated terrorism analysis (via the US intelligence agencies), financial fraud, national cultural heritage, and environmental threats to human health.  RDF played a core role in each of these efforts.  They were not research projects.  Organizations paid real dollars ($M's) for data standards interoperability via RDF.

Along with my colleagues helping to evolve & mature the RDF family of standards, we can cite major international companies, publishers, retailers and search engines that use LD to solve real business that could not be solved by other approaches.  We're not in la-la land.

My opinions are mine alone.  I shared them on this list to advance what seemed to me to be some reticence regarding the use of RDF to solve real & challenging issues of distributed data interoperability.

All that said, I concur with Timothy's sentiment & look forward RDF becoming yet more mature and robust ... but I'm not sitting on the sidelines.  Many of us are solving pressing problems using international data exchanges standards (including RDF) and getting paid to do so.

Cheers,
Bernadette Hyland

PS.  Grants and gov't money are still real money where I come from -- $100B for an EU innovation project that makes data interoperability a guiding principle is good enough for me and hopefully others too.  Remember who initially funded the Internet - the US Government.  And GPS -- oh, the US Government again.  Touch screen displays ... man, the US Government had their fingers in that too?!  And let's not forget that sporty car that you see at almost every 4-way stop in San Francisco ... the Tesla.  Did the government support Elon Musk's car too? Yep.  To quote Mariana Mazzucato (Professor in the Economics of Innovation at the University of Sussex), "truly radical innovation needs patient, long-term, committed finance."