Re: OWL URI and namespace, an issue for LOV.

Hi Simon

> On Jun 17, 2014 11:19 AM, "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Not sure I get your point. I know those documents of course, and BTW
> since you mention it http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema has not the bug
> (feature) pointed for OWL, since it uses the namespace as the ontology URI,
> thus :
>
> Nope- you got my point :-)

Cool :)

> Further poking finds that empty same-doc dereferences in rdf resolve to
> the whole document (see
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-baseURIs
> /#section-baseURIs
>
> And a maze of twisty RFCs and fall-backs.
>
> I believe that both patterns are probably correct.

Rule : if A and B are both "probably correct" and equally easy to
implement, and you are a standard body, your job is to specify that it MUST
be A (or B, but chose once for all). All the point of standards is : for
the same result, you could do X or Y or Z, please all do X.

See this excellent presentation by Tommie Usdin in Extreme Markup Montréal
2002, which is fortunately still online : "When “It Doesn’t Matter” means
“It Matters”"
http://conferences.idealliance.org/extreme/html/2002/Usdin01/EML2002Usdin01.html

"Users keep demanding flexibility and extensibility, and in one sense
giving them syntactical choices is giving them flexibility. But it is not
giving them useful, usable flexibility; it is giving them headaches. They
want flexibility in the content they create and communicate; they want rich
semantics. They are not interested in flexible syntax!"

> It is forbidden to treat blah# and blah as being sameAs without an
> explicit axiom; i *think* it is an error if ontology is named blah, but is
> imported as blah#.

"is imported", you mean in LOV data base for example?
See previous answer to Antoine. We do as we can with what we get :)

--

*Bernard Vatant*
Vocabularies & Data Engineering