Re: Deprecate http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# in favour of /ns/rdf# ??

From: Damian Steer <pldms@me.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:20:33 +0000
Cc: Semantic Web IG <semantic-web@w3.org>, team-rdf-chairs@w3.org
To: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>

On 28 Nov 2013, at 14:27, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> An idea has been floated and I'd like to assess the community's reaction. The rdf and rdfs namespaces are hard to remember (I always copy and paste, I guess you do too), but how do you react to the idea of deprecating those namespaces in favour of the much easier to remember http://www.w3.org/ns/rdf|s ?

-1

The issue is that they're hard to remember for authors, mostly, so we'd be better off saying:

* rdf and rdfs prefixes are always bound to (whatever they are :-)
* rdf and rdfs prefixes may not be bound to anything else
* parsers should issue a warning if a document attempts to override them

Which is backward compatible, and requires little effort from library vendors.

Damian