Re: Ontology for describing Dataset?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 09:19:49 -0700
To: Miao Chen <viviny@gmail.com>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org, shinaj@rpi.edu
+cc Joshua Shinavier

On 1 June 2012 13:40, Miao Chen <viviny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for some ontology which can describe datasets (e.g. scientific
> datasets) and their properties. I have been pointed to two such ontologies:
>
> Dataset Catalog Vocabulary
> (http://data.fundacionctic.org/vocab/catalog/dcat.html#Dataset)
> Vocabulary of Interlinked Datasets (http://vocab.deri.ie/void#target)
>
> I want to ask if there are other ontologies for representing datasets, and
> probably, in more details? Thank you for your help!

In the Web Schemas group, we maintain a list of proposed extensions to
the schema.org project - see
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/SchemaDotOrgProposals and nearby
Wiki.

There is a proposal at http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Datasets with
mappings to DCAT, ADMS and VoID.

See aso http://logd.tw.rpi.edu/schemaorg_dataset_extension

BTW if/when we could show reasonable consensus on such an extension
for schema.org (and some support from publishers) I think it'd be a
good candidate to add there. I don't yet have a good feeling for how
all these loosely related vocabularies fit together...

cheers,

Dan