SOPA, Wikipedia, and dbpedia

From: Mischa Tuffield <mischa@mmt.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:58:28 +0000
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi All,

Following on from the news that the English Wikipedia is going dark in opposition to the SOPA/PIPA tomorrow (2012-01-18) given the activity in the US [1], I wonder whether we as the Semantic Web Community feel like we should turn around and turn off dbpedia? What do people think? Wouldn't that be a nice show of support to Wikipedia, dbpedia's parent project, I think so ...

Obviously dbpedia doesn't have nearly as many users as Wikipedia, but personally I feel it would be a nice show of support, to what is a massive move from wikipedia. Poor students, what will they do tomorrow!

Mischa

[1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/English_Wikipedia_to_go_dark
Mischa Tuffield PhD
http://mmt.me.uk/