Re: What does SPARQL stand for?

From: Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 08:09:38 -0700
Cc: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Sebastian Hellmann <hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
If you want the oral history.  I came up with the SPARQL name.

I was *originally* thinking that it was Simple Protocol and RDF Query Language but when it started getting too complex (UNION, OPTIONAL, DESCRIBE) I felt it couldn't justify that any longer and the appeal of a recursive acronym was just too delicious.

The proposal and also how to pronounce sparql
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0500.html

The revised name proposal
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004OctDec/0453.html

So SPARQL is the SPARQL Protocol and RDF Query Language

Dave