Re: data schema / vocabulary / ontology / repositories

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Martin Hepp
<martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
> Hi Dieter:
>
> There are several ontology repositories available on-line, but to my knowledge they all suffer from two serious limitations:
>
> 1. They do not rate ontologies by quality/relevance/popularity, so you do not get any hint whether foaf:Organization or foo:Organization will be the best way to expose your data.

Schemacache[1] used to order results by the number of documents
Sindice found it it, but this wasn't terribly effective; what we want
is  something more like "number of individual publishers using term X"
rather than "number of individual documents using term X".

I could work this out without too much difficulty from the VoID
descriptions published by CKAN[2] if more dataset descriptions listed
void:exampleResources  (around half of them don't), and if more VoID
dataset descriptions specified the dct:publisher and dct:creator of
the dataset, this would also be useful.

> 2. The selection of ontologies listed is, to say the best, often biased or partly a random choice. I do not know any repository that
> - has a broad coverage,
> - includes the top 25 linked data ontologies and
> - lists more non-toy ontologies than abandoned PhD project prototypes.
>

> The most useful tool for your purpose is likely
>
>   http://prefix.cc/popular/all

Schemacache used to be  rather  polluted with abandoned and toy
ontologies, but in November last year I started afresh with only the
namespaces registered on http://prefix.cc
The search results are now much more likely to be useful, though there
is still the odd bit of junk in there, and there is certainly room for
improvement.

[1] http://schemacache.com
[2] http://semantic.ckan.net/sparql