Re: Reasoning

From: Markus Krötzsch <markus.kroetzsch@cs.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:21:01 +0100
To: Cristiano Longo <longo@dmi.unict.it>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org
On 18/07/11 11:52, Cristiano Longo wrote:
> Since I discovered a description logic in which the consistency problem
>>> in NP-complete (cf. [1]), and I wander if this teoretical property is
>>> relevant in the real world, considering that non-deterministic
>>> computations cannot take place with the hardware that is actually
>>> available.
>>
>> There are already a number of DLs where consistency checking is
>> polynomial. So an NP-complete logic would be somewhere in between the
>> tractable and the highly expressive. Since you have a new unusual
>> semantics for DLs, you will probably have to invent new algorithms too.
>>
>> Markus
> Of course, I think I'll take a look to the open source existing reasoner.
>
> Thank You,
> Cristiano Longo
>
> PS: the semantics of the description logic mentioned in the paper is the
> usual descriptive one.

I only skimmed through the paper but my impression was that your DL is
not defined as a fragment of other DLs or of first-order logic, but that
you define a new model theory instead. Descriptive or not, this may
require reasoning methods that are different from the ones that are used
for FOL-based DLs.

Markus

--
Dr. Markus Krötzsch
Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford