Re: URI in a URI

From: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:08:29 +0000
To: "<nathan@webr3.org>" <nathan@webr3.org>
CC: Vincent Huang A <vincent.a.huang@ericsson.com>, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
A very useful question.
It is an important issue for the emerging services accessing the semantic web.

Yes in general using a # is a bad thing.
It is likely the server will never see the fragment after the #.

I don't know if it is written anywhere, but there seems to me a bit of a consensus around this.
And it is folded into the RESTful stuff.
So for example
describes a typical service invocation with a URI as argument as:

We do something similar in http://sameas.org/
http://sameas.org/about.php describes in detail, with things like:
http://sameas.org/?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/London (the NIR)
http://sameas.org/rdf?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/London (an IR)
and also in the rkbexplorer services things like
as well as with two URIs

So you could use

Unless someone wants to tell us that is crazy?
This is the sort of thing it is useful to have some best practice emerge on.
Or can anyone point us at where it is written?

On 4 Feb 2011, at 12:41, Nathan wrote:

> Vincent Huang A wrote:
>> Can I have a URI in another URI definition?
>> For example, if I want to give a name to a temperature service coming from a sensor, can I say:
>> http://example.com/sensors/sensor1/services#http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.1/propTemperature
> well now, that's just one, valid, URI :) so long as it conforms to the syntax restrictions then you're fine.
> note: be clear on the fact that it's only one URI though, not two URIs, or a "URI in a URI", and that #fragments have certain restrictions (see [1]), as in you can't have a '#' in a fragment.
> [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.5
> Best,
> Nathan

Hugh Glaser,
              Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia
              School of Electronics and Computer Science,
              University of Southampton,
              Southampton SO17 1BJ
Work: +44 23 8059 3670, Fax: +44 23 8059 3045
Mobile: +44 78 9422 3822, Home: +44 23 8061 5652