Re: RDFa and RDF API, or Semweb and JavaScript

Hi Nathan!

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
> Thomas Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Hi Denny,
>>
>>> I recently read the RDFa API [1] and RDF API [2] and quite liked them
>>> (nice work there, seriously).
>>> I wanted to ask if there are already decent implementations of those in
>>> JavaScript?
>>
>> Somewhat dated, but the best implementation out there so far:
>> https://github.com/webr3/rdfa-api.
>
> Cheers Thomas, aye that one is from an previous version where the RDFa API
> and RDF API were defined as one API in one doc; have a new RDF API specific
> one pretty much ready to go in the next couple of days.

Great; I'm looking forward to it!

> Thinking about pulling the js3 [1] native handling functionality in to the
> implementation.. anybody think that's a good idea? (it can be done whilst
> still maintaining full API compatibility)
>
> [1] https://github.com/webr3/js3

IMHO, I think it could be wise to leave it out. I'd prefer a base
package with code (and ideally tests) implementing the spec and
nothing but the spec. While JS3 is very nice, I expect that different
solutions to those needs might crop up, and I find it sensible to have
it as a separate package upon the core API(s).

That way, it's also reasonable to bless your implementation as the
reference implementation of the spec, and make it clear for authors of
ports to different languages/platforms that this code covers nothing
beyond the standard API. Also, it allows for JS3 to develop and take
shape independently.

(This is the way e.g. the RDFLib community has worked, with a core RDF
API (and parsers), upon which different "O/R" mappers like Sparta,
Oort, RdfAlchemy and SuRF are built, each complete with their/our own
needs, ideas and idiosyncrasies.)

(Also, as I said elsewhere, I'd be happy to pitch in and implement
e.g. Projection and some tests/specs if you're short on time. ;) )

Best regards,
Niklas