Re: Best Practice for Renaming OWL Vocabulary Elements

Hi Martin,

I think this issue is also related to ontology versioning and assigning
an applied version of an ontology in a dataset (see, e.g., [1]).
OWL provides some properties to describe an version of an ontology,
e.g., owl:priorVersion, owl:versionIRI, owl:backwardCompatibleWith (see
[2,3]). However, all these relations have a range and domain of
owl:Ontology. I'm unsure, whether you also like to type every property
or class as an ontology (I think from a philosophical point of view this
doesn't matter).
So far your class and property alignment to prior versions looks good.
Albeit, I would separate these axioms from the core ontology, because
they are only need if one likes to process reasoning with backward
compatible term definitions.
Furthermore, you can make use of the SemWeb Vocab Status ontology [4] to
mark an term, e.g., as 'archaic'.

Cheers,

Bob

[1]