Re: Time for quintuples?

Hi Nathan,

there is no problem, if only one cognitive characteristic statement
exists in the graph. Then I can simply match the topic of the skill
(from the example) with the topic of the cognitive characteristic
statement, which should be associated with the "shortcut relation" (via
cco:skill).
However, if I have for example three "shortcut relations" (e.g. a skill,
an expertise and and interest) in a graph, which have all the same
topic, I can't match them to the related cognitive characteristic
statement (as you can also see in the original example[1]).
So I will need an elegant solution to address this issue. N-Quads are
providing from my point of the basis for it, if I add semantics for
relating the 4th element as reification statement of
subject-predicate-object triple of the quad*. That means, I don't have
to explicitly define the "reification triples" (via rdfs:subject,
rdfs:predicate, rdfs:object). Furthermore, I should have the possibility
to simply query (and reason) against this quad graph, e.g.

SELECT ?topic ?weight ?activity
WHERE { ex:AUser cco:skill ?topic ?cc .
	?cc cco:activity ?activity .
	?cc wo:weight ?weight .
	?weight wo:weight_value ?weight .
	 FILTER (?weight >= 0.6) }

The intended semantics might also be possible, if I separate each
"shortcut relation" and its related detailed description in extra Named
Graphs (as proposed in the two Named Graph propals, see links from the
first mail). However, I'm unsure, whether I will get these semantics,
when I will merge the Named Graphs, because as stated in "Named Graphs,
Provenance and Trust"[2]:

"...how to resolve conflicts between different graphs, and how to
determine A, are seen as pragmatic issues, to be dealt with by
application developers, rather than logical issues to be dealt with by
formal semantics..."

Furthermore, I read also several times (e.g. here[3]) that there are no
consistent semantics re. merging named graphs or reasoning over them. In
"Contextualized RDF Importing"[4] they are proposing some rules how this
can be handled.

I hope, I clarified my concern a bit ;)

Cheers,

Bob

*one can also extend this idea re. a set of context/reification
statements similar like Triplesets (however, this might cause further
problems ;) )

[1] http://smiy.sourceforge.net/cco/examples/N3/cco_-_football_example.n3
[2] http://www2005.org/cdrom/docs/p613.pdf
[3]