OWL 2?

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 02:15:20 +0100
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi All,

Apologies for this mail as it may not have a direct answer, but unsure
where else to ask. I often hear a general sentiment of negativity
towards OWL 2, implying that there's something wrong with it, that it's
not practical or not for the masses only for the academics.

Simply, I don't understand or follow this thought and am probably
missing something obvious, can any one enlighten me?

Hopefully this isn't a sore subject or something that shouldn't be
spoken about, and obviously no offence to anybody - just if somebody
could fill me in on the background behind the sentiment and why this
conclusion has been (I think?) reached, could they let me know - on or
off list.

Best,

Nathan

ps: this really isn't intended to spark a bit debate or war - even that
sentence may show just how little I understand any background on this topic.